When it comes to a person’s bedtime and morning routine you probably won’t find two that are identical. Every person has different skin which results to different routines. A person can have normal, dry, oily, acne prone, or sensitive skin. Then on top of that is personal preference so of course no two beauty routines are the same.
When it comes to myself, I have normal/pimple prone skin. I say pimple prone and not acne prone because there is a difference. Acne is considered to be pimples and bumps all over a persons face – it is a continuous skin condition. Pimples are small skin lesions or inflammations of the skin. I get one or two occasional pimples because of many different factors: stress, if I touch my skin too much, each too much chocolate or greasy foods, or when my lovely time of the month occurs (who decided that not only do we have to be bloated and hormonal, lets just add a few zits the size of jupiter on top of it, anyway?!) After a long day of class or night out I am so excited to get home and take my contacts out, my bra off, and wash the makeup and day’s built-up dirt off my face. Below is the routine/products I love to use:
- I use Murad Clarifying Cleanser – I love it because it is very light and contains Salicylic Acid which helps with my occasional pimples
Exfoliator – a must have if you love to have your skin feel like a baby’s butt
- My favorite is Ole Henrikson’s Walnut Complexion Scrub – not only does it smell amazing but my skin feels fresh and smooth after
- I adore the Vasanti BrightenUp! Face Rejuvenator because I can actually feel the crystals cleansing my skin and once I’m done my face is a little red – I usually use this one at night – I feel as if it actually did it’s job exfoliating my skin
- For even more exfoliation and also a deep scrub – I use and love my Mia Clarisonic
Moisturizer – After my face is clean, I have a few different products I use depending on the mood I’m in
- For extreme moisture – I love to use Coconut Oil – whoever realized that we can use it for more than just cooking oil is a saint
- Another deep moisturizer I use – One Love Skin Savior Waterless Multi-Balm. There are over 50 ways to use this balm from makeup remover to relieving sunburn! It’s amazing
- When it comes to my body – I use either coconut oil or Aveeno 24 Skin Relief lotion
- For my hands and feet – I’m newly obsessed with Aveda Hand and Foot Relief especially for this brutal winter we’ve been having
- I also love to put on Eucalyptus Spearmint Stress Relief lotion before I go to sleep – the smell is intoxicating
Spot Treatment – when it comes to those annoying pimples I have a few tricks I like to use
- OVER moisturize – normally pimples show up because of dry/dead skin – not oily skin
- A few different medicines I like to use on the blemish – a dime sized amount of Neosporin, Murad Spot Treatment, or Neutrogena Rapid Clear Eliminator
- Last, DO NOT PICK THEM – especially if they are jupiter sized – picking and popping leads to the zit being on your face longer and scaring, who wants that? Just put a hat on for a few days and no one will ever know!
Masks – great for dry skin, oily skin, or breakouts
- Murad Clarifying Mask – (are you sensing a trend with Murad products??) I love to use this mask on occasion if my skin has been consistently breaking out
- GlamGlow – helps with all imperfections including black/white heads, ingrown hairs, or dry skin. Plus it looks like a mud mask – so escaping to a spa, at home, is quite nice
- Dr. Brant – pores no more – this mask is great for the pesky little black heads
That concludes my favorite products for beautiful healthy skin. If any of you are wondering how I afford all of these products —- I don’t. Majority of the products I did purchase but I also received many of them as gifts or as samples in my Birchbox (don’t even get me started on how much I love Birchbox). If I had the money to purchase a full size bottle of each product, I would. I believe taking the time and effort to have healthy skin is essential. Once I turn 50, I am going to look back and be thankful I spent the $30 dollars on an exfoliator because my skin is healthy and full of life.
With that being said, DON’T SMOKE. Smoking is hands-down the most disgusting expensive habit a person could pick up. You don’t want to spend $30 dollars on an product for your face that will last months but you’re willing to spend $8 dollars twice a week for a pack of cigarettes!?!?!? That habit absolutely blows my mind.
Also, don’t hit up the tanning bed every other day. I’m from Minnesota so I know what it’s like to be pale – you feel ugly, tired, and just not yourself. Just think (long) before you go, tanning not only causes cancer it also leads to pre-aging skin. Every once in a while I do believe tanning is okay – for events, trips, or if your skin is breaking out since the UV rays help dry out the pimples – but tanning just to tan is stupid. Here’s a alternative: an amazing, wonderful, effective self tanner I use called Tanwise. I prefer to use the mousse because it goes on evenly but that’s my biased opinion since I have not tried their lotion. Whenever I use this wonderful magic in a bottle, the amount of compliments I receive is absurd. What is also great, it washes off at the end of the night, so clogging pores – nope, turning orange – nope, streaky – nope. This sh** is a must have.
Well now you know my tips and must-haves when it comes to keep my skin healthy. Like I said before, everyone has different skin so what works for me may not work for you!
with love | Madelyn